We are a government funded, community-based treatment program at Women’s Health Clinic in Winnipeg. Our treatment program:
- is for all genders ages 18 years and older
- is open to all residents of Manitoba
- is most appropriate for medically stable adults who do not need meal support
- includes assessment & treatment of disordered eating and eating disorders, including binge eating disorder or compulsive eating
We encourage those under age 18 to access treatment through the Child and Adolescent Eating Disorder Program at Health Science Centre. Everyone aged 16 and older are welcome to attend our workshops.
We offer group-based treatment for adults. Participants:
- attend therapeutic group sessions one evening each week
- attend individual counselling sessions
- meet with a dietititan for nutrition counselling
Our groups address:
- coping skills
- body image
- relationships to food
- communication skills
Our treatment groups generally meet during the week and in the evening. They usually start at 6 pm and last 2 – 2 1/2 hours.
Please see our program booklet to learn more about our treatment program.
What to Expect
You don’t need to be referred by a doctor or other health care provider to use our program. Our current wait list for treament services is 6 – 12 months. If you add your name to our wait list, our program assistant will contact you to;
- arrange for a counsellor to call you and assess if our program is appropriate for you
- arrange a one-time medical consultation with our nurse practitioner if you don’t currently have a regular doctor
They can discuss your concerns and treatment options and give you information about other resources to use while you are waiting for treatment.
If you decide to use our treatment program, we’ll keep your name on our wait list and invite you to an orientation session to learn more about:
- eating disorders
- the recovery process
- our program philosophy and services
- other community resources to use while waiting for treatment
If you choose to continue with the assessment process, we’ll contact you when your name comes up on the wait list. At the assessment, you’ll provide a more detailed history of your concerns and goals for treatment. Together with our treatment team, we’ll discuss the treatment plan most helpful for you.
Our workshops are open to all ages 16 and older who may benefit from support to reach a balance and peaceful relationship with food and body, as well as community members, clients, families and friends. You don’t need to have an eating disorder to attend.
Topics may include:
- body image
- emotional eating
- mindful eating
- incorporating a non-dieting approach to wellness
For current workshop and registration information, please visit the Women’s Health Clinic website.
Workshop for Family, Friends and Partners
An opportunity for family, friends and partners of someone with disordered eating or an eating disorder to:
- connect with others in similar situations
- better understand eating disorders/disordered eating
- learn strategies for providing helpful support
- ask questions and learn more about available resources
Family, Friend, or Partner Coaching Session
For a partner, friend, or family member of someone age 16 or older with an eating disorder. Please note: your loved one does not have to be in treatment for you to use this service.
You will meet with a counsellor to explore the issues and struggles you may have with your loved one’s eating disorder. They may or may not attend the session.
The session includes education and information about:
- eating disorders
- recommended strategies
- referral processes
Consultation to Health Care Providers
We are a provincial program and strive to build capacity in rural regions. We provide consultation through telephone and email to families and health care providers (mental health, primary health, allied health professionals) in rural Manitoba.